Introduce Yourself!

Off-topic discussions, socializing, humor, and more at the OSR.SPACE online pub -- The Prancing Pegasus.
randalls
Site Admin

Introduce Yourself!

Post by randalls » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 am

This is the Introductions thread. Tell us a bit about yourself and the games you enjoy.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

randalls
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Post by randalls » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am

I’m Randall. I’ve been playing tabletop RPGs since I graduated from high school in 1975.

It’s probably obvious that I started with original D&D. I bought a brown box set and the first supplement (Greyhawk) in March or April of 1975. I had been playing Avalon Hill and SPI wargames for almost five years by that point — with some ancients minis gaming as well. I spend the summer designing a dungeons, npcs, new monsters and a primitive setting. Getting my friends to play, was hard as few had much interesting in science fiction, let alone fantasy. However, when I went to college that fall, I soon had a group of regular players. I’ve been playing ever since.

While I tried a large number of RPGs over the years, OD&D and B/X (and games based on them) are still my favorite fantasy RPGs. Call of Cthulhu, Traveller (preferably classic), TSR Marvel Superheroes, Empire of the Petal Throne, Runequest (for Glorantha) are other games I enjoy a lot. I will play almost anything once. However, I do not enjoy games that stress character builds or require one to study rules just to be able to play. I’m not a fan of long combats and have no interest in playing a minis game for combat in my RPGs. If I want to play a minis skirmish game, I have several that are much better for scratching that itch than any RPG.

I generally run my fantasy games in one of my two main homebrew settings (the Hidden Valley and Arn) or in the old Judges Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy. I homebrew settings, monsters, rules, treasure, etc. I consider all tabletop RPG rules to be nothing but guidelines for the GM.
0 x

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links